Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Kid From Southie by: John "Red" Shea & Michael Harmon


"You can start by telling me why you didn't come home last night, and you can also explain why two men followed me  home after work and have been milling around the entrance to our building all day long."

When I was a kid, I was obsessed with living in Boston.  I wanted my parents to pick and move there!  I have always been a dreamer and in my mind I was going move to Boston, find Joey McIntyre from New Kids on the Block, marry him and live happily ever after. Ok, so that didn’t happen, however, I still love Boston and I love reading about Boston and this book A Kid From Southie was a compelling read! 

Aiden O’Conner is a high school senior, his father is a drunk and has abandoned Aiden and his mother.  Aiden's mother works in pubs, she barely makes enough money to support them. When he is approached by a childhood friend with a promise of easy money, he reluctantly gets mixed up with the Irish mob, who run South Boston.  Aiden is a talented boxer and if steered in the right direction has a promising future, but now that he is working as an enforcer for the mob he finds himself questioning who he is and his future. 

I loved this book!  It has a great plot and good characters.  You will empathize with Aiden as he makes mistakes and tries to find his way.
 
Southie= South Boston

 


No comments:

Post a Comment